The Cuban National Assembly and the Cuban Institute of Friendship with the Peoples have generously recognized the support of the international solidarity movement for the Cuban Five.
Just before the Cuban Five were freed and back in Cuba, Tamara Hansen and Ali Yerevani wrote about some the work done in British Columbia and internationally in their chapter for the book “Cuba Solidarity in Canada – Five Decades of People-to-People Foreign Relations”, (Nino Pagliccia, Ed).
“In Vancouver alone, since July 2003, we have organized more than 300 different actions and events. This means between 2 and 3 Cuban Five campaign activities each month. This does not include participation in dozens of events and activities in the U.S. and internationally, as well as Cuba.
Needless to say, while Free the Cuban 5 Committee-Vancouver has been the main organizer and promoter of these events, this great workload and activities would not have been possible without the broad support for our work from individuals and groups with their interest to take up the case of the Cuban Five within their own jurisdictions. To begin, the FC5C-Van has greatly enjoyed the support of Vancouver Communities in Solidarity with Cuba (VCSC) that has provided all kinds of assistance including materials and financial. We also received help and support through endorsement, sponsorship, significant solidarity and joint action/events with dozens of organizations in British Columbia such as
- Canadian-Cuban Friendship Association – Vancouver (CCFA-Vancouver), formed in 1961 and the oldest Cuba solidarity organization in Canada
- Comité de Ayuda para el Desarrollo Social en El Salvador (CODESES)
- Solidarity Coalition for a United Latin America (SCULA) Building a Consistent and United Campaign Across Canada
- Branches of the Communist Party of Canada
- Communist Party Canada -Marxist Leninist
- Venezuelan Consulate in Vancouver
- Tim Louis, Lawyer and former city councillor
- Colleen Glynn, Chair of the NDP, Richmond East
- Central America Support Committee (CASC) in Victoria
- Goods for Cuba in Victoria
- Friends of Cuban 5 in Nanaimo
- Friends of Cuban 5 in Comox Valley and Courtenay
- Friends of Cuban 5 in Bowen Island
- Thompson Rivers University Socialist Club in Kamloops
Outside of British Columbia, we have worked and collaborated with various groups across Canada and the United States, as well as internationally.”
Tiny URL for this post: